Useful Maths formulas
Excel uses the normal operators of addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (*), division(/), Greater than (>), Less than (<) and power(^). Brackets are also used in the normal mathematical way i.e. items within the brackets are calculated first.
There are many mathematical formulas in Excel but the ones I find the nost useful are:
- SUM(): a very basic formula that adds up the values in a set or sets of cells
- AVERAGE():a very basic formula that averages the values in a set or sets of cells
- SUBTOTAL(): Creates subtotals and totals for as range of mathematical and statistical formulas. It ignores any values in the specified ranges that are created by other subtotal formulas
- RANDBETWEEN() : generates random numbers between 2 specified numbers (which can be positive. The first number must be less than the second number. It can be used to generate test data or results for excel games
- SUMIFS(): adds numbers in a range of cells only of they meet given criteria – see separate page